Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Legendary Gentleman


I had the great pleasure yesterday of meeting and interviewing one of the all-time greats of Australian golf, Kel Nagle.
Kel won the 1960 Open Championship at the age of 39, beating Arnold Palmer by a shot. He also won 61 tour events in Australia, and had the remarkable distinction of winning an event every year between 1949 and 1975.
He turns 89 in December, and is as sharp as a tack. I could have sat there all day and listened. In many ways it is a pity that the whole interview will have to be distilled down into something that fits into a formula to suit television, but I guess that's the way it goes.
We will be featuring the interview on The Pro Shop in a couple of weeks.
I think this is about as close as I will ever get to the Claret Jug!

No comments:

Post a Comment