Wednesday, October 21, 2009

On the Bench #4



Stanton and Killeen Vintage Port 2004 $29


Can't believe how little fortified wine I drink these days, and every time I take the opportunity I'm reminded what I've been missing out on. This is a speccy wine, released with five years bottle age and up for grabs for less than $30. We don't know how good we've got it down under when it comes to world class fortified's.


Silky, refined and delicious. The alcohol is beautifully integrated, and the weightlessness of the wine belies the fortification, which I imagine is exactly the goal in the first place. Despite the bottle age this is still extremely youthful, with a rawness of sweet prune and black plum flavour that still needs some restful years to find its equilibrium. It's a long term, classically structured Vintage Port, and worthy of a place in anyone's cellar. Winery Sample, 94+ points, 2015+


No comments:

Post a Comment