Saturday, October 31, 2009

Ye Olde Claret Jug


As I said in the previous blog, this is about as close as I am going to come to The Open Championship Trophy in the flesh. But I love what it represents about the game, and about whatever grand ambitions I had as a player when I was still competing. The experience of playing in The Open is something that I will treasure forever, even though I pretty much just made up the numbers at each attempt.
On the other hand, Kel Nagle won it. And knowing how tough major courses are set up, and the pressure that accompanies the occasion, it says a lot about what a talent Kel was.
The Claret Jug is still the most iconic trophy in the world of golf, and will never be surpassed in this respect. That's producer Lou Dimovitch in the mirror, quite by accident, even though if I could I'd choose to claim it as some sort of artistic expression on my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment